Sunday, August 29, 2010

Turkey Rolls Out the Red Carpet

Filed under: FIBA, USA Basketball, FIBA World ChampionshipISTANBUL -- It's my first full day in Istanbul and I have made a friend.

I think.








Mehmet Vorndan shows of one of his carpets




"Rather than sell a carpet, the most important thing is friendship," carpet salesman Mehmet Vorndan tells me. "Friendship lasts forever."

Presumably, longer than a carpet. But since I left his Yurdan Carpet & Jewelry shop without buying a carpet, I will have to check back at a later time to see if my friendship with Vorndan is still intact.

Any visitor to Istanbul soon learns that evading carpet sellers takes similar skills to Team USA guard Derrick Rose driving to the basket. They invite you into their shops and serve you apple tea and say how you cannot leave the city without a fine Turkish carpet. Ask somebody for directions in town and the conversation invariably ends with, "Would you like to buy a carpet?" Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

basketball drills sector 9 teacher training skateparks tennis rackets

No comments:

Post a Comment